Just ran into something (well, actually searching for it) and wanted to
know what everyone's thoughts on this were and whether it should stay
that way.

<?php
class Foo {
    function get()
    {
        static $i = 0;

        return ++$i;
    }
}

$c1 = new Foo;
var_dump($c1->get());
var_dump($c1->get());
$c2 = new Foo;
var_dump($c2->get());
?>

Outputs:

int(1)
int(2)
int(3)

Basically, the static variable keeps its value even between different
class instances. In my case, it actually helps me with something, but on
the other hand, it doesn't seem that it should be this way..

-Andrei
* I don't have a solution but I admire the problem. *