Did you see the #ifdef __FreeBSD__ in zend.c?
It prevents the SIGFPE if I remember correctly, when we lose precision on
FreeBSD. Maybe this mask can also fix the problems you have of not crashing.
I can't check out the man page right now beause I don't have access to
FreeBSD but it might be doable and would prevent us from searching through
all of the source code.

Andi