ID: 9746
Updated by: romolo
Reported By: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Bug Type: PostgreSQL related
Assigned To:
Comments:

Try current CVS release, at lest in my case the bug seem to be solved.
The problem appeared to be in the close function as it was closing first the specified
connection and than the default one (that in the case of same connection ID are
exactly the same) so that the 2nd unwilled close was really closing the connection and
not just removing a ref to it.

Try latest CVS snapshot from http://snaps.php.net/
as this should be fixed.

--Jani

I tried with php4-200103141145; still as described above.

I recall this coming up before, but I can't find it in the list of open or closed
postgres bugs.

It appears as though PHP is using the arguments to pg_connect to uniquely identify
connections. For example:

 $dba = pg_connect("user=foo pass=bar dbname=baz");
 $dbb = pg_connect("user=foo pass=bar dbname=baz");
 pg_close($dba);
 # $dbb is closed now too

Were one to use $dbb at this point, one would see

PHP Warning:  1 is not a valid PostgreSQL link resource in [file] at [line].

But,

 $dba = pg_connect("user=foo pass=bar dbname=baz");
 $dbb = pg_connect("pass=bar user=foo dbname=baz");
 pg_close($dba);
 # $dbb is still open

and

 $dba = pg_connect("user=foo pass=bar dbname=baz");
 $dbb = pg_connect("user=foo pass=bar dbname=baz    ");
 pg_close($dba);
 # $dbb is still open

The bug doesn't require that the handle be closed explicitly; I discovered it here
where one of our programmers was having connections close when one fell out of scope.

I tried moving back to PHP 4.0.2 but the bug's there too (so it doesn't look to be a
regression problem); on the other hand, a DEC Alpha running Digital Unix 4.0e and PHP
4.0.2 does *not* exhibit this behaviour.

If you're unable to duplicate it, please get in touch with me, and I'll see if I can
make arrangements for a testing environment. I'll poke through the code myself for
something obvious, but I'm unfamiliar with PHP internals in the first place (up to
now, at least).

ATTENTION! Do NOT reply to this email!
To reply, use the web interface found at http://bugs.php.net/?id=9746&edit=2