> Possibly not - can the original poster comment?

    He wrote

If register_globals is set to on, you cannot access $HTTP_SESSION_VARS any
longer. Instead you can get the values through implicit created variables or
through the $GLOBALS array.

    'access' and 'get' sound like read operations to me.

>- but that does make it really
> messy to write code that works with either setting.

    Yes.  Feel free to propose a solution which solves your
    problem and which is compatible to existing scripts.

    - Sascha                                     Experience IRCG
      http://schumann.cx/                http://schumann.cx/ircg