After having these crashes which I think were due to file upload (but who
knows!) recently, I've been mulling the question: how safe is PHP? Namely
how effective is the memory_limit directive?

Forgive me because I don't know enough about PHP's architecture but is
this memory_limit directive an absolute? Is there absolutely positively no
way a child process can use more than memory_limit? Or are there
situations where it can be exceeded, e.g. can certain bugs in PHP modules
cause it to be ignored?

An additional question is does Apache's RLimitMem/CPU directives work on
PHP? Or is this only applicable to CGI processes?

Any response appreciated.

Nick.