From:             [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Operating system: Linux
PHP version:      4.0.5
PHP Bug Type:     PCRE related
Bug description:  preg_replace 'e' modifier

Formerly, preg_replace's "e" modifier inserted extraneous backslashes in
backreferences of "\\1" or '\\1' form.

Ostensibly, the $1 backreference form was added to fix this.  However, the following
code fails:

  function f($x) { return 'yo'; }
  $s = "xyzabc def123";
  $s = preg_replace('/(abc def)/e', 'f($1)', $s, -1);

It seems to be trying to evaluate $1 as code, rather than as a variable containing the
contents "abc def".

This is borne out by the fact that the following succeeds:

  $s = preg_replace('/(abc def)/e', 'f("$1")', $s, -1);

But "$1" and '$1' are no better than "\\1" and '\\1', since it still inserts
extraneous backslashes before single quotes or double quotes (respectively)!!!

I was sincerely hoping that PHP 4.04 and 4.05 would fix this oversight, since my web
application depends on it.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it's just me doing
something wrong, though I doubt it...

--
Edit Bug report at: http://bugs.php.net/?id=10666&edit=1