Bug Type: MySQL related
Operating system:
PHP Version: 4.0.5
Assigned To:
Comments:

This is fixed already in CVS.

--Jani

Thanks for the quick reply.

The error message was indicating that it couldn't find the mysql.sock file and your
suggestion of pointing the entry in php.ini to that location fixed the problem
immediately.

The new location on one machine was /var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock - I don't have the
correct permissions on the other machine to update php.ini as this is run by another
company. Interestingly enough, I upgraded a third machine yesterday after your email
arrived and this worked flawlessly - it was running RedHat 6.1/MySQL 3.23.27-beta and
the mysql.sock was located in the expected place in /tmp.

However, this still does not explain why previous versions of PHP can find the
mysql.sock file without problem while 4.0.5 has trouble - I note that there has been
quite a few changes to the ext/mysql/php_mysql.c file and suppose that something has
been slightly broken there. Is this likely to be fixed?

Thanks again

What is the error message you get?
Can you also try to set: mysql.default_socket to the location where you mysql soscket
is?
(Probably: /tmp/mysql.sock or /var/lib/mysql.sock).

Two systems have been upgraded from 4.0.4pl1 to 4.0.5 and both have then failed to
connect to a MySQL database using 'localhost' in the mysql_connect or mysql_pconnect
calls. The MySQL installation has not been upgraded. Replacing the libphp4.so with the
4.0.4pl1 version and restarting apache fixes the problem as does changing 'localhost'
to '127.0.0.1' (plus a similar mod to mysql db and user tables in the database so that
the host names match).

The MySQL version is 3.23.32

ATTENTION! Do NOT reply to this email!
To reply, use the web interface found at http://bugs.php.net/?id=10786&edit=2