PHP Version: 4.0.5
Assigned To:
Comments:

This is not a bug.

1. Use:

if ($id == "view")

= : assignment
== : comparison

2. You can change your errorlevel, which is causing these
   messages, see www.php.net/error_reporting

Ok, I ran this script on my Apache server with the new PHP 4.0.5 installed and it did
not work...

<?

if($id="view"){
echo "You are in view mode";
}
else{
echo "You are not in view mode";
?>

<form action="?id=view" method="post">
<input type="submit" value="Change to View Mode">
</form>

<?
}
?>

When you first view the page, it says "You are not in view mode" and has a submit
button that says "Change to View Mode". If you click to button it will give $id the
value of "view", so when it reloads the page, it will display "You are in view mode".

This script works fine on my server with the earlier version of PHP, but not with
4.0.5. The new version 4.0.5 returns an error the first time it loads an says that $id
hasnt been defined.

I dont know if they changed it on the new version because they thought it was a bug of
the old versions(that didnt return errors for undeclared variables), but if thats the
case, they certainly disabled simple scripts like this one that made things a hell of
a lot easier for us programmers. Thats why I'm using the old version of PHP, and not
PHP 4.0.5 on my Apache server.

ATTENTION! Do NOT reply to this email!
To reply, use the web interface found at http://bugs.php.net/?id=10908&edit=2