From:             [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Operating system: Windows 2000
PHP version:      4.0.5
PHP Bug Type:     Unknown/Other Function
Bug description:  HTTP Authentication via PHP using documented code does not work

Hi, trying to do simple HTTP authentication (just to get it working, as the original
mySQL connected version did not work -- same "symptoms") with this php code:

<?php
  if(!isset($PHP_AUTH_USER)) {
    Header("WWW-Authenticate: Basic realm=\"My Realm\"");
    Header("Status: 401 Unauthorized");
    echo "Text to send if user hits Cancel button\n";
    exit;
  } else {
    echo "Hello $PHP_AUTH_USER.<P>";
    echo "You entered $PHP_AUTH_PW as your password.<P>";
  }
?>

this is in a standalone file, login.php

it brings up the login prompt, but seems unable to get past that -- entering a login
does nothing.  The popup shows 3 times, then it redirects to a page displaying the
results of the "echo "Text to send if user hits Cancel Button\n";" line.

Not sure if i'm doing something wrong (doubt it, i copied this code from php.net after
trying to write my own (which got the same results)) or if this is a bug....it may
well be a bug with apache, but perhaps y'all know something about this....

Software setup info:

SERVER_SOFTWARE => Apache/1.3.20 (Win32)
SERVER_PROTOCOL => HTTP/1.1
HTTP_USER_AGENT => Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 5.01; Windows NT 5.0)
PHP Version: 4.0.5

--
Edit Bug report at: http://bugs.php.net/?id=11498&edit=1