ID: 11647
User Update by: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Derick,

That would seem simple enough, except that changing the Apache build would void my
warranty with Cobalt, which I cannot afford to do. Considering the popularity of RaQ
and other similar systems, I don't think that I am alone. While it's great that PHP is
able to support newer builds of Apache, there's no reason why it should have stopped
being backward-compatible at 4.0.5.

Thanks.

I recommend that you upgrade your webserver version from 1.3.6 to 1.3.20.

Script:

su
cp /usr/sbin/httpd /usr/bin/httpd
cd /tmp
gzip -d php-4.0.6.tar.gz
tar -xvf php-4.0.6.tar
cd php-4.0.6
./configure --prefix=/usr/local/php-4.0.6 --exec-prefix=/usr/local/php-4.0.6
--with-apxs=/usr/sbin/apxs --with-mysql=/usr/local/mysql
make
make install

At this point, the installation process fails because the 'make install' script
invokes APXS. APXS runs, but responds that it does not understand the -S flag, which
is visibly being used. This takes place when running Apache/1.3.6 with mod_perl/1.21,
mod_ssl/2.2.8, and OpenSSL/0.9.2b on a Cobalt RaQ 3i system with all of the latest
patches from Cobalt installed.

This problem did not occur with any previous versions of PHP. PHP 4.0.5 installs
perfectly.