ID: 9477
Updated by: danbeck
Reported By: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Bug Type: Documentation problem
Operating system:
PHP Version: 4.0.4pl1
Assigned To:
Comments:

Resubmitting as a new documentation bug.  Much of this has nothing to do with what
needs to be documented.

Docu problem not script engine problem.

- James

Ok. This is absolutely amazing. I went to the archives. There are a good number of
people all wondering about the same issue. Why is =&new required when every other
language semantically understands that new is an operator and =new is not an
assignment but rather implicit construction of an object?

Any takers?

this all makes sense and generally you do NOT need to use
"=& new" your case included, this is due to PHPs nature and
this all has been discussed
search the archives (marc.theaimsgroup.com) for
"reference counting" and "this+constructor" or maybe "=&" to
understand when it required to use "=&" with new

there are some resources on reference counting in the manual
or at zend.com IRC

I retract this bug. I think the issue is that I was looking for pointer semantics in a
language that does not support it but at the same time is not strongly typed so that
what appears to be correct, does not in fact reset the reference but actually
overwrites the original object by assignment.

Thank you all for your help. I now have a proper reference implementation of the
subscriber/publisher pattern for PHP.

Hopefully, I'll be able to keep this all straight for any other patterns I conver to
PHP.

Just out of curiosity, has ANYONE questioned the whole =& new construct's necessity in
terms of why the semantics allows for = new as well??? When would you want to assign
the a copy of the object you just created?

Any help would be appreciated.

bogusifying

apparently you do not know what you are doing here exactly,
please read "references explained" from the manual again...

/* your version - you do not destroy the reference, you
simply overwritte all referenced variables (remember they
are all ONE variable know) with "" */
function junk($name){$this->array[$name]="";}

/* corrected version - this one does what it is written in
your description */
function junk($name){unset($this->array[$name]);}

the corrected one works for me.

/* to clear things up a bit - the following code does the
following: remove the reference by replacing it with another
(to $t), I could imagine you thought it does something
different */
function nojunk($name){$t="";$this->array[$name]=&$t;}

please note I still did not read your comments, your code
reduced code was enough to understand the situation completely

note: please do not use pass-by-ref in call time

The remainder of the comments for this report are too long.  To view the rest of the
comments, please view the bug report online.

ATTENTION! Do NOT reply to this email!
To reply, use the web interface found at http://bugs.php.net/?id=9477&edit=2