ID: 11767
User Update by: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

I had some time this morning to check for the infamous bug and while watching
standart/exec.c I found out that the index of chars that should be backslashed didn't
include \x20. File was modified in consequence and after a recompilation i was
surprised to see that it didn't work :/
If anyone plans to correct this, do not add \x20 to the index of chars cause it would
also backslash spaces between the binary name and the vars. The same example as
:(

I would like to point to the fact that this bug affects many, many, many people using
a system based authentication as it prevents users from log into whatever they want to
log into correctly. It prevents also the use of any kind of system() function when a
space is needed anywhere in the call.

When safe_mode is set to On, it is impossible to pass a variable that contains a
string with a space in it as an argument to any system() like function. The following
script shows the problem:

<?
   $somevar = "this is a test";
   exec("echo.sh $somevar", $return);
   echo $return[0];
?>

echo.sh being a simple shell script that echoes back anything that we feed it. The
following PHP script will display 'this' instead of 'this is a test'. I tried
backslashing every chars of the variable by writing a simple function but spaces seems
not to be correctly passed to the shell script. The same script executed when
safe_mode is set to off works perfectly...

Veins - [EMAIL PROTECTED]