ID: 11826
User updated by: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Reported By: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Bug Type: Reproducible crash
Operating System: WinMe, Linux
PHP Version: 4.0.4
Assigned To:
New Comment:

It's interesting that in the last week this bug report has not gotten a single reply.
It is an easily reproducable bug that Manuel Lemos (author of the Metabase database
abstraction layer) believes is a problem with PHP. He has assured me that the problem
is not with Metabase so, accordingly:

There must be a bug with custom session handlers called
using

 session_set_save_handler
("on_session_start", "on_session_end",
 "on_session_read", "on_session_write",
 "on_session_destroy", "on_session_gc");

that is making it crash when Metabase calls are used in the start/end/read/write etc.
functions.

As Metabase is one of the best solutions out there for database abstraction with PHP
(are there any others that allow database schema in XML and the range of type
conversion options, etc? Or are as well documented?) I believe that this bug at least
deserves a reply from the developer community. (Even if it is along the lines of: 'We
don't care, fix it yourself' just so I know!)

I have included a link to all code necessary to reproduce the crash in my original bug
report and I've streamlined the code so that only logic necessary for the bug to be
seen is present.

[]

This error has been reproduced on WinMe running Apache 1.3.19, PHP 4.04, MySQL 3.23.37
and Linux running Apache 1.3.12, PHP 4.0.3pl1, MySQL 3.23.6.

When a custom session handler is set up that points to functions that use Manuel
Lemos' Metabase database abstraction library to save session information in a
database, Apace crashes randomly. When it does not crash, the code works as it is
supposed to.

For code necessary to recreate problem please download this file:
http://www.aralbalkan.com/php_sessions_bug/metabase_sessions.zip

It includes all necessary code (including the database schema, database schema
installation script, the Metabase custom session handler functions and two small test
scripts that use these to increment a variable.

After you have installed the database schema (metatest1-schema-install.php) and
entered the settings for you database in db_init.php please run nabsession_test.php
and click on the link for the second page and try reloading.

Randomly, your web server will crash. When it doesn't crash, the registered session
variable will update correctly.

Please don't hesitate to contact me if you need any further information. Manuel Lemos,
the author of Metabase is aware of the problem and believes that the problem is with
the PHP custom session handler code.

When the Metabase calls are replaced with direct calls to MySLQ (to

ATTENTION! Do NOT reply to this email!
To reply, use the web interface found at http://bugs.php.net/?id=11826&edit=2