ID: 12264
User updated by: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Status: Open
Bug Type: IIS related
Operating System: Win2K Server
PHP Version: 4.0.6
New Comment:

Hmm, looks like my patch thing didn't quite work [for one, PATH_INFO isn't being set 
right, then I think there are also some memory leaks]) ... I had an old very hacky 
patch around here that I ended up reverting to for now.

A proper fix for this problem would be great :)

Previous Comments:

[2001-07-19 14:29:07] [EMAIL PROTECTED]


The scripts that we are running use PATH_INFO to determine where a user is trying to 
access, and this became a problem when we switched over from using Apache to using 
IIS. Once we made the switch from Apache to IIS we were getting continual CGI Errors 
(like virtually every single hit was a CGI Error) [ and this was not because of 
permissions ]

As it turns out, the only pages where we would not get a CGI error was the root page, 
which had an empty PATH_INFO. Here's an example:

Our root script is /test.php. If I requested /test.php everything would work fine; 
However if I requested /test.php/hello/world I
would get a CGI Error (under IIS). Under Apache I would get the proper results -- it 
would run /test.php and PATH_INFO would be 

But anyways - after spending some time poking around the PHP source I found that PHP 
was trying to execute the wrong file! In the above example, it was attempting to run 
/test.php/hello/world instead of /test.php (SCRIPT_NAME was being to /test.php). To me 
it looked like IIS was setting PATH_INFO and PATH_TRANSLATED differently than PHP was 
expecting, so I made a change the the source so that it would modify those two until 
they were in working order. I'm not sure if my change is correct - but it did fix the 

(Note: The problem is independent of the actual script - any script where you put 
stuff on the URL in this manner will have this problem)


What follows now is the output that I had PHP give on what it was trying to run. The 
first is the original version that didn't work, followed by the version with the 
changes that I made, and the proper results:

In both of the cases, the requested URL was:

Original (non-working) version
PHP Output follows

SG(request_info).path_translated: (null)
PATH_INFO      : /test.php/hello/world
SCRIPT_NAME    : /test.php
SG(request_info).request_uri = /test.php/hello/world
php_fopen_primary_script(): filename  = C:\web\fcsweb\test.php\hello\world
php_fopen_primary_script(): path_info = /test.php/hello/world


So you can see that in the original request it is trying to run the wrong script. With 
the changes I made, I now get the following:

New (working) version
PHP Output follows

SG(request_info).path_translated: C:\web\fcsweb\test.php
PATH_INFO      : /hello/world
SCRIPT_NAME    : /test.php
SG(request_info).request_uri = /hello/world
php_fopen_primary_script(): filename  = C:\web\fcsweb\test.php
php_fopen_primary_script(): path_info = /hello/world


Some more information on our system:

OS: Win2k Server SP1
Webserver: IIS4
PHP: 4.0.6 CGI mode

And finally, the patch for the changes I made to cgi_main.c are at:

I've never submitted a patch before, so I don't know if it's done in the right 

Hopefully I've analyzed this whole issue somewhat correctly... :)




Edit this bug report at

PHP Development Mailing List <>
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
For additional commands, e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
To contact the list administrators, e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Reply via email to