ID: 12301
Updated by: cnewbill
Reported By: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Old Status: Open
Bug Type: Feature/Change Request
Operating System: Any
PHP Version: 4.0.6
New Comment:

No you're not the only one who does this.

You just need to modify your php.ini include_path setting.

By default it is ".:/usr/local/lib/php/", i.e. check the current directory then check
/usr/local/lib/php/.

So you would want yours to be ".:/usr/local/lib/php/:/path/to/scripts".  Then you
could do this.

<?php

include("main.php");
include("admin/tools.php");
include("include/process.inc");
include("include/lib.inc");

// rest of code here

?>

-Chris

When using include(), it should check the current file's directory. Currently PHP
start from the script's directory.

Say you have the following files:
scripts/main.php
scripts/admin/tools.php
scripts/include/process.inc
scripts/include/lib.inc

If process.inc wants to include lib.inc, you would need to know from where it was
included. If you started off from main.php, main.php would have
include('include/process.inc') and process.inc would have include('include/lib.inc').
If you started off from tools.php, tools.php would have
include('../include/process.inc') and process.inc would have
include('../include/lib.inc').

Which is very silly, IMO. process.inc needs lib.inc, and i can make sure they're
together in the same directory, so i can simply use include('lib.inc') in process.inc.
why should i have to care what script and in what directory included process.inc?

I can't believe this feature isn't there. I checked all over the place but it seems it
isn't. Am I the only one who uses more than one directory for my scripts?

If this feature breaks some old scripts, you could have an option in the config file
to turn it on or off.