> can it be assumed that
> zval.str.val[zval.str.len] = '\0'?
>
> i.e., the byte after the string in a zval is the null-byte?
>
> That is assumed in various places in ext/standard/string.c, and AFAIK
> that may not always be true.

No code in PHP should assume this.  PHP should always check the length.
However, many external libraries that take string arguments are not going
to be able to check our length property and we therefore should strive to
null-terminate all strings.  I noticed Thies has been going through
recently and cleaning this up a bit.

-Rasmus