> I was wondering if someone would be so nice as to post a code
> snippet that returns an associative array... I'm writing an
> extension and am only able to return an ordinary array...
> Alternatively I would be very interested if someone could
> point me to some documentation on the zend_hash_xxx functions

array_init(return_value);
add_assoc_string(return_value, "string index", your_char_var, 1);
add_assoc_double(return_value, "another one", your_long_var);

That's all.  Last arg on add_assoc_string() should be 1 if you need to
make a copy of the string.  If the char * you are passing was allocated by
you using emalloc() then don't make a copy.

You don't need any zend_hash_xxx functions to just return an associative
array.

-Rasmus