Arghh!
aspell 0.27 + php4 = *BAD* IDEA. Did you read the note on the page from
php manual you mentioned in your email?
I quote:

    *Note: * aspell works only with very old (up to .27.* or so)
    versions of aspell library. Neither this module, nor those versions
    of aspell library are supported any longer. If you want to use
    spell-checking capabilities in php, use pspell
    <http://www.php.net/manual/en/ref.pspell.php> instead. It uses
    pspell library and works with newer versions of aspell.

I do not think you will be able to get this version to even compile; it
is not supported by the aspell author, and will not work with php4.
Please, use pspell instead
(http://www.php.net/manual/en/ref.pspell.php). It is very similar, in
fact, it uses newer versions of aspell, but better.

If you still have problems, please ask.

Vlad