ID: 12956
Updated by: wez
Reported By: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Old Status: Open
Bug Type: GD related
Operating System: Debian GNU/Linux
PHP Version: 4.0CVS-2001-08-25
New Comment:

It's a GD bug; I know this because my patched GD works fine with TTF.  I submitted the
patch to the GD folks a while ago.
--Wez.

How do you know?  All I said was that this was known, but that I don't know what
causes truecolour images to not support anti-aliasing.  ie. whether the bug is in PHP
or GD or a combination of both is yet to be determined.

Not a PHP bug then..

--Jani

Yes, this is known.  Anti-aliasing of TTF fonts in GD2 only works with paletted
images.  No idea why.  Try asking the GD folks.

More on the problem. (This could be a libGD bug, but the libGD test works fine, but
I'm not sure if its doing the same thing)

This is from the ./configure to show that it is configured right (I have removed some
lines to make it shorter):

checking whether to include GD support... yes
checking whether to enable truetype string function in gd... yes

checking for freetype(2)... yes
checking whether to include include FreeType 1.x support... no
checking whether to include T1lib support... yes
checking for T1_LoadFont in -lt1... yes
checking for gdImageCreateFromPng in -lgd... yes
checking for gdImageCreateFromJpeg in -lgd... yes
checking for gdImageCreateTrueColor in -lgd... Yes

So here is the script:
<?php
Header ("Content-type: image/jpeg");
$im = imagecreatetruecolor (400, 30);
$black = ImageColorAllocate ($im, 0, 0, 0);
$white = ImageColorAllocate ($im, 255, 255, 255);
ImageTTFText ($im, 20, 0, 10, 20, $white, "/Fonts/arial.ttf", "Testing... Omega:
&#937;");
ImageJPEG ($im);
ImageDestroy ($im);
?>

I have also found out if I do not use truecolor, then the font is ok, but if I create
from a jpeg or png, I get crap fonts.  I guess its a truecolor problem.  I dont know
if it is in PHP or in GD.  Maybe I'm posting this to the wrong place.  Is anyone else
using libGD2 and truecolor TTF graphics?
Here is some samples that I made: http://rtfm.c0de.net/helpfiles/ttf-test.html

Thank you for your help.

First, create a short but complete example script and
include it here so we can test it.

Second, you should use the correct paths for the configure

--with-freetype-dir=/usr

And btw. This configure option is for freetype2.
( --with-ttf is for freetype 1.x )

Also note that GD2 is in BETA.
This might instead being a bug in PHP, be a bug in GD2.

--Jani

    http://bugs.php.net/?id=12956

Edit this bug report at http://bugs.php.net/?id=12956&edit=1