Updated by: sander
Reported By: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Old Status: Suspended
Bug Type: Feature/Change Request
Operating System: Redhat Linux 6.1
PHP Version: 4.0 Beta 3
Assigned To: markonen
New Comment:

AFAIK, FreeType is far out of beta, and is working great with PHP4. Closed.

The latest status is that the FreeType 2 API has freezed
and development work is now possible. The new API is
a significant improvement overt the old 1.x API and
being able to utilize its features in PHP would be great.
However, it is also significantly different, and supporting
it would constitute a complete rewrite of the TTF code.

The new FreeType version includes a new rasterizer
which is capable of producing either 1-bit or 8-bit
(256-shade) type. The latter is *very* visually pleasing,
but does not really fit into our current 8-bit imaging
backend (gd).

Based on these developments, I don't see a need to
hack FreeType 2 support into the current gd-based
architecture. I see it as a part of a more complete
imaging overhaul. I reclassify this as a Feature/Change
Request -- the FreeType 2 distribution contains
instructions on how to work with FreeType 1.x host
apps (like PHP).

I put this on suspend. Freetype2 is still beta.
(although they claim having RC on their site..)

--Jani

what´s the progress here?

Open -> Analyzed

There are known problems with using FreeType 2 with PHP4 at this time. As a
workaround, you can revert to FreeType 1.3 or rename FreeType 2's truetype.h header
file to freetype.h and libfreetype.a to libttf.a.

    http://bugs.php.net/?id=3219

Edit this bug report at http://bugs.php.net/?id=3219&edit=1