When I added "--with-zlib" to the PHP ./configure line it then worked. If you wanna see what works to get MySQL/PHP/Apache working on a Slackware Linux machine I posted the step by step stuff at:

http://209.125.21.145/~tim/mysql.html

If any other Slackware users bug you feel free to shoot 'em back that URL. =)

(The domain is usually 'www.rocketry.org', but Network Solutions hasn't yet done my DNS change since moving the boxes..)

Thanks for the speedy response. =)

TIM