Reported By: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Old Status: Assigned
Bug Type: Reproducible crash
Operating System: Linux 2.2.16
PHP Version: 4.0.6
Assigned To: derick
New Comment:

No feedback, considered fixed.

This should be fixed in the latest CVS - please let me know if the problem still
occurs.

Derick,

Thanks I did not think to check there this time.  I see the following, even with the
the $cipher = md5() and CleanString functions disabled:

[Sun Jul  1 09:11:55 2001]  Script:  '/home/nerdwww/compose.php'
---------------------------------------
mcrypt.c(1322) : Block 0x08429258 status:
Beginning:      OK (allocated on mcrypt.c:1252, 24 bytes)
      End:      Overflown (magic=0x35653364 instead of 0x2A8FCC84)
                At least 4 bytes overflown
---------------------------------------

Here are the calls I make using mcrypt outside of the compose.php script you have
already seen:

http://www.nerdnet.com/functions.phps

Thanks again!

Joe

Hello,

with debug enabled, do you see any errors in either your httpd errorlog or in
/var/log/zenderrors ?

Derick

Update:

I have compiled php-4.0.6 with --enable-debug to try and get a backtrace, but when I
do, the bug vanishes and the same code no longer crashed my httpd child process..

Here is some detailed info:

PHP 4.0.6 config line:
./configure  --with-mysql --with-gd --enable-track-vars --with-jpeg-dir=/usr/local/lib

--enable-bcmath --with-apache=../apache_1.3.20 --enable-ftp --enable-sockets
--with-mcrypt --enable-debug

and for Apache 1.3.20

EAPI_MM="../mm-1.1.3" \
SSL_BASE="../openssl-0.9.6a" \
./configure \
"--enable-module=ssl" \
"--with-layout=RedHat" \
"--activate-module=src/modules/php4/libphp4.a" \
"--enable-module=rewrite" \

The script that is causing this error is:
http://www.nerdnet.com/compose.phps

As you can see, a use submits a form, which is the source of $cipher, an alphanumeric
string, which is then encrypted and other actions take place after.

I am not using the Zend Optimizer or anything unusual here at all... If I run the
httpd thru gdb and reproduce the crash it gives me an error in
shutdown_memory_manager() when it crashes, but not much else since the bug disappears
when I compile in debug into PHP...  If any more info is needed let me know... Thanks
PHP team, you guys rule!!!

Joe

Can you please post your script as .txt file on the web, so that I can check how the
$cipher is generated?
And is it possibly for you to make a backtrace of this crash
(http://www.php.net/bugs-generating-backtrace.php) as I couldn't reproduce it.

Derick

    http://bugs.php.net/?id=11806

Edit this bug report at http://bugs.php.net/?id=11806&edit=1