Egon Schmid wrote:

> Wez Furlong wrote:
>
> > So it's never going to collide with anything else
> > You say that if you come across it and wonder what it does, the manual
> > doesn't tell you what it is.  Lets solve that by putting it in the manual.
>
> It is mentioned in the PHP manual. See http://php.net/gettext.

yes, but if you know what _(...) is you don't have to read the gettext
page, and if you don't know you won't figure it out from the manual
unless you've read it al the way through and remember every single
word in it.

even searching for 'underscore' won't give you a clue ...

> We have a
> convention, not to document aliases as a function. This means _() is
> mentioned within the gettext() function.

i thing we should at least, while not putting in extra pages for
aliases,
find a way to have them listed somehow and to make the URL shortcuts
like

  http://php.net/_

work for them

--