> Hi f0lks,
>
> I've just subscribed to this mailing list because I have a problem with
>  session handling that seems to be a bug (the one described at
> http://www.php.net/bugs.php?id=13229).
>
> I've spend a lot of time on analyzing session handling so I hope my
> results  help somebody to fix this bug.
>

> Before PHP 4.0.6 the problem was, that changes in $HTTP_SESSION_VARS
> were  not saved if register_globals was enabled.
>
> In PHP 4.0.6 the problem is, that changes in $HTTP_SESSION_VARS won't
> be  saved if register_globals is enabled AND when the changed variable
> wasn't  registered before that script call.
>
> (Don't tell me I should turn off register_globals when I prefer to use
> $HTTP_SESSION_VARS - it's not my server I'm working on.)

[snip]

I don't think this is a bug, it looks like a misunderstanding of the API.
(Perhaps it is my misunderstanding ;-)

session_is_registered() seems only to test if you have registered a
variable, not if the variable has been retrieved by the session code as of
yet.

session_register() should be called regardless of whether or not you need to
initialize a variable, so what you need to do seems to be this:

session_register("foo");

if(!$HTTP_SESSION_VARS["foo"]) // foo uninitialized
{
        $HTTP_SESSION_VARS["foo"]=0; // probably no need to do this, already zero
}
$HTTP_SESSION_VARS["foo"] += 1;