ID: 13342
Updated by: swm
Reported By: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Bug Type: Mail related
Operating System: Linux/Apache
PHP Version: 4.0.4pl1
New Comment:

I cannot recreate this 4.0.5 or current CVS. As for line
length, RFC 821 says the following:

text line

 The maximum total length of a text line including the
 <CRLF> is 1000 characters (but not counting the leading
 dot duplicated for transparency).

Theorectically, it is the responsibility of the MTA
(sendmail/postfix/Exim/qmail etc) to handle this not PHP.

Can you recreate this with current CVS?

most likely sendmail related
as PHP mail() for unix just passes the
message text to the local sendmail binary via popen()

could someone please check the SMTP RFCs
for line length limits ?

Hello,

The script :

$mail_body = "";
for ($i=0; $i <500; $i++) {
$mail_body .=
"aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa";
}

$subject = "Testing";
mail($adress, $subjet, $mail_body);

When receiving the mail, a character ! is inserted every 2041 chars.

If the message is changed into :
$mail_body .=
"aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa\n";

the received mail is good.

It is not very usual to send a mail without carriage return, but we discovered this
bug sending an HTML message, with <br> and without \n. Introducing some \n resolve the
problem.

Best regards