From:             [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Operating system: Windows XP Professional
PHP version:      4.0.6
PHP Bug Type:     IIS related
Bug description:  PHP Crashes with weird output sometimes

I recently installed PHP 4 on Windows XP with IIS 5...
I coded the following script:

<?php
$temp="$SERVER_SOFTWARE";
?>
<HTML>
<HEAD>
<TITLE>Testing</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
the var is: <? echo $temp ?>!
</BODY>
</HTML>

I tried to run this and it just stalled (kept trying to load the page), no
server error or anything.  I clicked "stop" in IE and tried to reload, same
thing.
I modified the php source and changed $SERVER_SOFTWARE to aaaaa.
Then when I reloaded the php script, it gave me this:

the var is: aaaaa! HTTP/1.1 500 Server Error Server: Microsoft-IIS/5.1
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2001 19:34:24 GMT Content-Type: text/html Content-Length:
44 -2147417842 (0x8001010e)

all on 1 line.

Sometimes, I reload the page and it works fully.  But it never works only
in certain circumstances (like in the script above.  Seems that it only
works if I have a minimal amount of scripting before the HTML output on the
top of the PHP file script.

Weird.

--
Edit bug report at: http://bugs.php.net/?id=13371&edit=1