At my company we use Oracle as the main back-end server. We implemented our
own session class system. Unfortunately we noticed that its a pretty big
load on the server. So I started looking at PHP sessions.

The problem was the same, the "shared" session systems, NFS and SQL, assumed
reliable disk data. It is just seems dumb to put session data in a database.
No matter what database you use, it will never scale much better than the
whole I/O speed of the disk system.

I then started thinking about a shared memory cache on each machine, but
yuck, forcing a load balancer to be sticky is problematic because you just
know that it would always end up that every AOL user would be directed to
the slowest web server.

I then started thinking that what I need is a stand-alone daemon that
handles all the session data. I thought I was brilliant until someone
informed me that Microsoft already had something like that for IIS. So I
wrote one: msession.

I am fairly new to the PHP hacking end of things, so any help or assistance
you could give me would be greatly appreciated. Also, give it a try and let
me know what's broken. (Anyone want to fix config.m4 to automatically find
the lib and include files?)