ID: 10443
Updated by: derick
Reported By: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Bug Type: Scripting Engine problem
Operating System: Linux 2.4
PHP Version: 4.0.4pl1 + 4.05
New Comment:

No feedback, please reopen is the problem is not fixed.

Derick

Please try again with 4.0.6 and/or the latest CVS.

I have downloaded and testted PHP 4.0.5, and the bug is
still there. I'll get a backtrace if you need one.

Also, my last comment has not been replyed to. Have I been
forgotten about?

Thanks for your help,

Charlie Dyson - [EMAIL PROTECTED]

The following is the PHP backtrace and GDB output you
requested. Sorry it took
so long, it involved recompiling apache and php to get a
non-stripped executable.
Note that exactly the same output occurs every time the
server crashes on the page. If required, I could send you
the page in question, but it includes loads of other files
as well.

Is the bug fixed in the 4.0.5 release?

Heres the output:
0x80deb80 in _zval_ptr_dtor (zval_ptr=0xbfffd368) at
zend_execute_API.c:259
259             (*zval_ptr)->refcount--;

Backtrace:

#0  0x80deb80 in _zval_ptr_dtor (zval_ptr=0xbfffd368) at
zend_execute_API.c:259
#1  0x811192b in zend_switch_free (opline=0x8280abc,
Ts=0xbfffd0a8)
    at ./zend_execute.c:236
#2  0x810eb34 in execute (op_array=0x821a4a4) at
./zend_execute.c:1855
#3  0x810f690 in execute (op_array=0x820e5fc) at
./zend_execute.c:2063
#4  0x80e5f4b in zend_execute_scripts (type=8,
file_count=3) at zend.c:729
#5  0x807cbeb in php_execute_script
(primary_file=0xbffff66c) at main.c:1221
#6  0x80f24bb in apache_php_module_main (r=0x820170c,
display_source_mode=0)
    at sapi_apache.c:89
#7  0x807a306 in send_php ()
#8  0x807a33e in send_parsed_php ()
#9  0x8117d79 in ap_invoke_handler ()
#10 0x812c1df in process_request_internal ()
#11 0x812c24a in ap_process_request ()
#12 0x8123406 in child_main ()
#13 0x81235c1 in make_child ()
#14 0x812373c in startup_children ()
#15 0x8123d9d in standalone_main ()
#16 0x81245cc in main ()
#17 0x400de213 in __libc_start_main (main=0x8124234
<main>, argc=2,
    argv=0xbffff8fc, init=0x8061c20 <_init>,
fini=0x815e010 <_fini>,
    rtld_fini=0x4000ac30 <_dl_fini>, stack_end=0xbffff8f4)
    at ../sysdeps/generic/libc-start.c:90

PHP just crashes when it opens particularly complicated
pages. When I'm hacking at a page, it I add another loop,
or insert a few more lines of code in somewhere, it'll
just crash.

This bug is _not_ caused by the invocation of any one
function, the use of any one particular syntax element or
feature. It is caused by excessively complicated pages.
Therefore, it's probably some memory-related bug in php's
internals. Apache logs report that the server dies with
SIGSEGV. The only way I think you'll work out what this is
is by looking at a core file, or if I send you a suspect
file. I can't seem to get php to dump one (tried httpd -X
in /tmp, but it doesn't work). Any ideas? I submitted this
bug before, but I was told the CVS version had it fixed.
I've used a CVS snapshot, and that didn't fix it.

Thanks in advance,

Charlie Dyson - [EMAIL PROTECTED]

( By the way, PHP is the best web-related tool I have ever
come across and it's made web-development a lot easier for
everyone. Thanks. )