Zeev,

You are right that there is no immidiate reason for changing
exit() right now to behave as expected.

However, I think most have to admit that its a bad story[tm] that
exit() evolved to it what it is right now. As you see many people
expect exit() to behave like its C counterpart; and, there is
nothing wrong assuming so.

Adding just another funciton to retain BC would look like PHPs
evolving is steered depending on solar irradiation. I think after
all people want a strong language thats well thougt and makes
sense (not by loosing its easy of usability) and not adding 'just
another function to have BC'.

I don't think I can convience anyone with this mail (especially
not you ;). Anyway, I'ld like to see behaving exit() in the
future like expecting: no ouput and return code.

For doing a smooth transient the 'magic' thing isn't such a bad
idea. Additionally, in further versions, we could also throw a
warning at the user that the miss-use of this function is
deprecated and he really wants die() so we could nuke the
magic behaviour when we think the time is right to really break
things but then it is already a time where people should now that
they are using the wrong function anyway.

- Markus (the small voice in your head)