ID: 13718
User updated by: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Reported By: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Bug Type: Feature/Change Request
Operating System: All
PHP Version: 4.0.6
New Comment:

I do understand that if you were in the middle of a php script, this would be a simple
reassigning of the variable.  However, this is a preprocessor command, and thus should
be handled a little differently.

Adding a "[]" at the tail of a variable and having it come out as an array on the
other end seems a like a trick.  It has its uses I'll give you that, but if you look
at my suggestion you will realize that it would be a nice feature.  You guys seem to
have take the time to make sure that elements with "[]" get properly shoved into
arrays, so why not this.

This is a fairly common situation in html forms. Especially if you are dynamically
generating them.

What this really comes down to is, are you willing to overlook the fact that something
like this does sort of already exist, in favor of another form of functionality?

There is one other issue.  If you use the variable names that you suggest, it breaks
javascript. ie:

<form name="form1" action="" method="post">
Baseball:
<input type="checkbox" name="interest[]" value="baseball">
Teams:
<input type="text" name="teams[]" size="30" onFocus="form1.interest[0].checked=1">
<input type="submit" value="submit">
</form>

will cause an error, because you don't define arrays in javascript this way.  I
realize that this seems like a bug in javascript, but actually it isn't.  The html
4.01 specification clearly states that:

"ID and NAME tokens must begin with a letter ([A-Za-z]) and may be followed by any
number of letters, digits ([0-9]), hyphens ("-"), underscores ("_"), colons (":"), and
periods (".")."

Note: this does not suggest that you can add "[" or "]".  So, in essence you are
violating the html specification.

If you still do not agree that this would only improve php, I will stop bothering you.

the simple problem with auto-generating arrays is:

form fields without input do not generate output

so if you have a form like

<form>
  <input type="text" name="foo">
  <input type="text" name="foo">
  <input type="submit">
</form>

you will get an array $foo[] with two elements
in PHP if both input fields are used but a plain
string variable if only one (either the first or
the second) is used

for the javascript naming problem

  form.elements['foo[]'] should work find

[...]

No, its not 'how it should work'. Image when you write the following code in php:

$interests = "something";
$interests = "new";

Would you expect this ending up with $interests being an array("something", "new"); ?
Certainly not.

So, for you to have an array, like Jani said, append '[]' and you have what you want.

- Markus

Here is an example of what I am talking about, try to imagine the interests being
dynamically generated, because it is easy if you already know the names of all of the
elements and the form itself:

form.html:
<form action="post.html" method="post">
Baseball: <input type="checkbox" name="interests" value="baseball"><br>
Teams: <input type="text" name="teams" size="40"
onFocus="interests[0].checked='1'"><br><br>
Football:<input type="checkbox" name="interests" value="football"><br>
<input type="submit" value="Submit">
</form>

post.html:
<?php
/**
 * This is how it should work, interests should be an array
 **/
 echo("interest 1: $interests[0]<br>\n");
 echo("interest 2: $interests[1]<br>\n");

/**
 * Instead, the value of $interests is that of the last
 * value posted.
 **/
 echo("$interests");
?>

Just name them as 'name=varname[]' (add the []'s in the end)
and you'll get an array.

--Jani

    http://bugs.php.net/?id=13718

Edit this bug report at http://bugs.php.net/?id=13718&edit=1