----- Original Message -----
From: "Stanislav Malyshev" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Daniel Beckham" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: "php-dev" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Saturday, October 20, 2001 4:58 PM
Subject: Re: [PHP-DEV] New zend_compile.c to solve all of the duplicate
function problems

> DB>> My argument is that some functionality similar to a C #ifdef and
> DB>> #ifndef is needed.  Neither the include_once() nor the if/endif
>
> Tell me how, for example, Java or Perl programmers manage to live without
> ifdefs.

I do not know Java.  In Perl, namespaces exist, so it's a completely
different ballgame.  But even still, it's not the responsibility of the user
to know the inner workings of a module or package in Perl.

> DB>> I already pointed out why include_once() is bad.  You place the
> DB>> responsiblity of knowing the inner workings of function libraries on
the
> DB>> user themselves and not the library.  This is poor programming.
>
> No, not at all. If you talk about library, the only thing user should do
> is package_load("Library") whenever he needs it. See my package proposal.

You disagree with me, but then your point is so far out in left field, I
wonder if you read what I wrote?  I think that a package_load("Library")
idea is great.  And that would also remove the responsibility of knowing the
inner workings of a function library from the user themselves.  Why are you
continuing this argument?   You seem to be fixated on something that I said
quite a few emails back and since then have explained in better detail.

Please understand.  I *do not* specifically want to see C style macros in
PHP.  They were an *EXAMPLE* of how one language does it and does it well.
As Zeev has pointed out, that particular implementation is not a good way to
do it in PHP due to compile time constraints.  Maybe namespaces would work
for PHP, maybe we need some sort of implicit directive, it doesn't matter
what it is, but we do need something.

My entire argument from the beginning has simply been if you are going to
take away our original way of doing this due to a bug or whatever, that you
would add the functionality back into PHP in some way or another.

Daniel