This may sound a bit self interested, but the curl extension has a
serious (well to me :) bug that prevents https working - If somebody
wants to patch/test this - it would be one less bug in 4.1.0RC2 :)
-- I have done quite a but if testing here - (with and without openssl
libraries)

This was due to an api change in libcurl in May - so I think most people
would have updated their libraries by now.

http://cvs.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/curl/curl/lib/easy.c.diff?r1=1.15&r2=1.16

Bug report with tested patch at

http://bugs.php.net/bug.php?id=14023

regards