I am using PHP for a system script to import TV listings to a database.

It works well but creates 20,000  to 30,000 hash elements with various
relationships and it *seems* to take exponentially longer for the script to
actually stop running after it reaches the "exit" statement the more items
there are.

I also note that even though max execution time is set to zero and the
script runs for a long time, I still get a max-execution error at 30 seconds
after the script has been trying to exit (although the script runs for many
minutes).  30 seconds is the timeout in the php.ini which I override with
ini_set.

I think this long shutdown time is PHP's per-page cleanup freeing all the
objects, which is not so important if running as a CGI.

Currently I am quitting with
posix_kill(posix_getpid(),5)
as it is pretty quick

but I wondered if the per-page cleanup which is only important when running
as an apache module could be disabled in cgi mode.

Sam