I've come up with a two-part setup in Apache to enable special file
extensions for processing PHP in XML documents.  I'm wondering what you
guys think, and what I can do to improve the setup.  (This is based on
the PHPDEV development server from www.firepages.com.au .)

Here's the first part, lines for a .htaccess file in c:/phpdev/www :
[CODE]
AddType application/x-httpd-php .pxml .pxsl .pxhtml .pmml .psvg
php_value auto_prepend_file c:/phpdev/www/mimeOverride.php
# Added to force the document to allow for multiple mimetypes.
#Alex Vincent added 11-26-01

php_value short_open_tag off
# Added to force <?php...?> instead of <?...?>; assists with XML
documents and XML processing instructions.
[/CODE]

The second part is the mimeOverride.php file I referenced earlier:
[CODE]
<?php
$extension = strrchr($SCRIPT_NAME, ".");
switch ($extension) {
     case ".pxml":
     header("Content-type: text/xml");
     break;

     case ".pxsl":
     header("Content-type: text/xsl");
     break;

     case ".pmml":
     header("Content-type: application/mathml+xml");
     break;

     case ".psvg":
     header("Content-type: image/svg+xml");
     break;

     case ".pxhtml":
     switch ($mimeType) {
         case "text/xml":
         case "application/xml":
         case "application/xhtml+xml":
         header("Content-type: $mimeType");
         break;
         }
     break;
     }
?>
[/CODE]

Anyone care to suggest additional mime-types and file extensions, fix
bugs in the code, or streamline it?

[i]"The first step to confirming there is a bug in someone else's work
is confirming there are no bugs in your own."[/i]

-- Alexander J. Vincent, June 30, 2001
http://www.jslab.org