hi,

>> besides, what makes templates slow are either string-replacements or
>> regular expressions and these are anyway "core parts" of PHP, thus
>> making a module won't speed up anyting. better contribute to PEAR and
>> write this template class in PHP - more transparency for other users.

>    Daniel, no offending, but what you write makes completely no
>    sense at all. A c-module is as fast as an extension in
>    PHP. Why? It's the same. It just hangs out in PEAR in the CVS
>    tree. And of course its faster then anything written in PHP.

it's not about the template extension in particular - I'd be very
pleased if such a module finds it's way to the main CVS tree because
template-ing is the only thing remaining which causes big headaches to
me (templates VS includes VS write static HTML).

I was thinking about this because I was inspired by CPAN (Perl). of
course, PHP is an all-purpose language like perl, but PHP has matured
and there I am just missing some real guidelines. of course I
unterstand that I'm just complaining around and not actually doing
anything productive, and everyone is pleased when someone actually
develops an extension in his or her free time, but .. well ..

when I look at /ext/ (PHP source) just to pick a random example:
what's 'vpopmail' doing there (no personal offense to the author,
really randomly picked)? I mean, vpopmail has it's own deamon and an
interface written in PHP (ok, that one is ugly, it depends on global
variables and has to be rewritten), but why create a /compiled/ module
for this? doesn't make sense to me. no gain in performance. and even
the module is WORSE than the PHP interface, because it requires you to
run PHP as CGI binary, fiddling around with sudo etc.. (whereas the
PHP just opens a socket to the vpopmail-daemon, sends some commands
etc..)

anyone interested in /ext/daniel/ printing out some greetings to my
friends? how about daniel_greet_his_friends(); and
daniel_send_email_to_his_friends(), etc?

Kind Regards,
  Daniel Lorch