    $_SESSION['test'] = 'YES';
    echo ini_get('register_globals');
?>

SESSION FILE CONTENTS:

With register_globals = 1:
<empty>

With register_globals = 0:
test|s:3:"YES";

Yes, I have problems with or without session_register/unregister.

In fact, I first tried:

   $_SESSION["varname"] = "somevaluehere";

to see if it was saved. But it was NOT.  So, I tried this:

   session_register("varname");
   $_SESSION["varname"] = "somevaluehere";

thinking it would help.  Anyhow, none of the above worked.

Once again, if

   register_globals=on

then, everything is fine.
---ends---

When you use $_SESSION or $HTTP_SESSION_VARS, you don't need
session_register/unregister to save session vars.
Do you have problem still when you don't use session_register/unregister?

Added 4.1.0 into the "PHP Version" field of this report.
---ends---

After posting the test results with 4.1.0, I tried using:

  session_register("varname");

before doing a:

  $_SESSION["varname"];

i.e.,

  session_register("varname");
  $_SESSION["varname"] = "somevaluehere";

And yet, the custom sess_write was never called.
--ends--

Just tried this with 4.1.0 (released on Dec 10) and the original problem description
applies, i.e. this has not been fixed.

Tried this on:

   PHP4.1.0
  Apache 1.3.20