Updated by: sander
Reported By: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Old Status: Feedback
Bug Type: ODBC related
Operating System: RedHat Linux 6.2
PHP Version: 4.0.1pl2
New Comment:

No feedback. Closing.

Does this problem still occur with 4.0.6, the latest RC
(http://download.php.net/~zeev/php-4.1.0RC3.tar.gz) or the latest CVS?

No, since the GENERATE_UNIQUE() function, which relies on a FOR BIT DATA field still
won't work. It seems to be the FOR BIT DATA variants of the CHAR fields that PHP has
problems with, and even though I haven't bumped into more situations where I need
this, It sure will happen at some point - I can imagine I'll encounter the problem
when we next month start to store product pictures in the database. A such field type
would be convenient to use, as an alternative to xLOB fields..

Please use the Bug system to respond to bugs.

User Reports:

No, since the GENERATE_UNIQUE() function, which relies on a FOR BIT DATA field still
won't work. It seems to be the FOR BIT DATA variants of the CHAR fields that PHP has
problems with, and even though I haven't bumped into more situations where I need
this, It sure will happen at some point - I can imagine I'll encounter the problem
when we next month start to store product pictures in the database. A such field type
would be convenient to use, as an alternative to xLOB fields..

Best regards,
Eirik Overby

Judging by your second comment, would you consider this bug closed?

I have been able to narrow the problem down to the useage of the "FOR BIT DATA"
modifier to the CHAR type.

To use the GENERATE_UNIQUE() function in DB2, one must have a CHAR(13) FOR BIT DATA
field. When working with a table with such a field, PHP seems to choke and do many
strange things.. Now that I redesigned the database into just using plain CHAR(13)
fields (planning to use uniqid()), everything seems to work a lot better.

-Eirik

    http://bugs.php.net/?id=6294

Edit this bug report at http://bugs.php.net/?id=6294&edit=1