it's kinda lame to create a yet another function when exit() already
exists. After a while you have die(), exit(), exit_with_status(),
silent_exit(), loud_exit(), etc. Maybe not *that* bad, but still exit is
just as simple as... well, an exit. Unfortunately, it seems like there
will be tons of ways to do a simple operation. Now, imagine you are just
starting out with PHP - will you be looking for a whole array of exit()
functions, or will you just try to use the one that seems to make sense,
namely exit()?

It's not really just an exit() function issue - it is more a question of
whether we will keep bloating php with more and more functions to save
BC at any cost or we will draw a line somewhere. As it is right now,
IMHO, exit with an error code is broken (I just can't see people needing
that error code printed), and I really don't think that keeping BC
intact to keep broken things working warrants creation of a new
function, which mimicks the already existent function, except in a
proper way.

As far as the bigger picture, we have no guidelines as to what warrants
breaking BC, and if fixing a broken behaviour constitutes breaking BC.
Every time this comes up (and it has come up quite a bit lately), there
is a big discussion, and the decision inevitably ends up being "we'll
just break it at the next major/minor version". This is a good step, but
(1) a new major version does not warrant breaking everything, (2) things
that are totally wrong should get fixed ASAP, because they are already
broken, and (3) you can not bloat a language indefinitely just for the
sake of BC, because it ends up being *very* backwards compatible, and at
the same time *very* cumbersome and harder to learn for new users.

No, I don't have any suggestions as to what to do when those cases (like
fixing exit()/ fixing docs/ bloating php) arise, but I do think that we
can have some discussion about it and use it later as some sort of a
precedent for these kinds of issues.

:) (I'm a friendly guy, don't kill me for expressing my opinions)

Vlad