Derick Rethans wrote:
[snip]

>Ok, that was the problem, now the solution:
>
>1. We fix exit
>2. We add an extra argument to exit, which silences the output
>3. We make exit understand @, like @exit();

all other issues aside, though an '@' sounds cool (after all, exit()
*looks* like a function), exit itself does not generate any output, only
what you tell it to output explicitly. Hence there is nothing to
suppress. If you don't want output, don't send it as a parameter. If we
want to use it this way to allow exit return an error code without
output and without breaking BC... well, this will fix the issue at hand
at the expense of... consistency. Right now '@' is used to suppress
messages generated by a function that are not really under programmer's
control. Making it work with exit() will be essentially like doing
'@echo "Hello, World!"' :(

It still would be nice to fix the problem, not the sub-problem or the
symptom, though I admire Derick's very creative approach - I wouldn't
have thought of that...

just my 2c., as always...

Vlad