What was the error message you received?  Also, when passing the variables
to the mssql_connect() function, you need not use quotes since you've
already initialized them to the strings.  Pass them as follows:  $connection
= mssql_connect($a,$b,$c).  Also, you aren't passing the actual sql string
to the mssql_query() function.  You have $sql = "blah" but you pass
$sql_temp.