It looks like the current testing framework can not properly handle
NUL. I have not tracked down the problem yet, but suspect that it
occurs around line 549 when data is being read from a popen stream and
written to the temp output file.  For Un*x systems, could we use use a
system call and redirect the output to a file? I think that would let
us handle the NULs successfully???

Just a thought before I head off to sleep. :)

G'night!

--zak