From:             [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Operating system: solaris
PHP version:      4.1.0
PHP Bug Type:     *Configuration Issues
Bug description:  incorrect configuration for --with-java

There are MULTIPLE problems with what should be a simple
option for configure:

 --with-java=/usr/java1.1

Problem #1: improper detection of javac and jar in PATH.
 I had JAVA_JAR set to "no jar in /usr/bin ....."
 Please check to see that there is an actual executable!
Similar problem with javac.
  ext/java/Makefile hardcodes 'javac', instead of having
  a variable $(JAVAC) set in config_vars.mk, and having
  an executable check done for the var.
[adding /usr/java1.1/bin to my PATH solves both problems]

Additional problem:
JAVA_INCLUDE =  -I/usr/java1.1/include

is not adequate. It must be

JAVA_INCLUDE = -I/usr/java1.1/include/solaris \   -I/usr/java1.1/include

because jni_md.h is in the solaris subdir.

Once I hand-edited the above valies in config_vars.mk,
the java extention compile successfully with solaris 8.

--
Edit bug report at: http://bugs.php.net/?id=14868&edit=1