ID: 11008
Updated by: mfischer
Reported By: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Old Status: Analyzed
Bug Type: Scripting Engine problem
Operating System: Linux
PHP Version: 4.0 Latest CVS (2001-05-21)
New Comment:

Fixed in CVS (integer values aren't printed to stdout anymore).

I just got bitten by this. The manual page says that if the value
passed
to exit() is integer it is used as exit status.

Or is there some other way to exit from PHP script with an exit
status?

--Jani

Simply put - no, it should not.

exit's optional argument is a termination message, not a shell status.

Anyone in the Zend core want to comment on this?  I know where the code
is that does it.  But it is in the Zend code.

Is there a good reason to put this exit status to stdout?

indeed it does both:

if php; then echo yes; fi
<? exit(0) ?>

0yes

if php; then echo yes; fi
<? exit(1) ?>

1

i don't see a real reason for the echoed exit status though

Working with a shell script here.  I hoped that exit() would work like
perl and return the passed status as and exist status.  As it stands
now, it sends it to stdout.  This is unexpected.

It would be much more useful if exit() could be used to enable the use
of PHP in shell scripts by returning the passed value as an exit
status.