oops, forgot to cc: php-dev.

----- Forwarded message from Peter Lowe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> -----

Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2002 10:20:39 +0100
From: Peter Lowe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: Melvyn Sopacua <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [PHP-DEV] Re: new bug viewing/editing form

On Jan 06, Melvyn Sopacua wrote:
> Manuel Lemos said at 22:18 6-1-2002:
>
> >- Assuming that the number of votes may influence in the priority that
> >developers will give to fix each bug, it seems easy to mislead
> >developers because somebody that realizes that may submit a bunch of
> >votes just to make it outstand in the pending bug queue. I suggest that
> >you adopt an authentication scheme like bugzilla, that requires
> >submitters to subscribe confirming the subscriptions by e-mail. This
> >way, multiple votes from the same subscriber would only count as one.
>
> If you go down that road, instead of assuming mature users, and kicking
> out the occasional kid, you'll end up with a lot of maintenance in the
> the subscriber database, deleting numerous hotmail accounts.
>
> Floods can be easily detected, and bugs which outstand tremendously can
> be investigated.
>
> There's also a much easier authentication for votes, which separates
> humans from bots, described here:
> http://www.webtechniques.com/archives/2001/12/perl/

unfortunately fairly trivial to bypass:

        http://www.perlmonks.org/index.pl?node_id=124732&lastnode_id=15004

although the way altavista use this technique with their url submission
service (http://addurl.altavista.com/sites/addurl/newurl) would be a lot
more secure.

 - peter.

> Met vriendelijke groeten / With kind regards,
>
> IDG.nl
> Melvyn Sopacua
> Webmaster
>
> <greeting season="newyear">
> XML-error: undefined entity "peace" at line 1.
> </greeting>
>

> --

This is *probably* not the signature you are looking for. Move along.

----- End forwarded message -----

--
This is *probably* not the signature you are looking for. Move along.