ID: 14798
User updated by: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Reported By: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Bug Type: Session related
Operating System: Win 2k
PHP Version: 4.1.0
New Comment:

> Any windows users can confirm this?
What you mean by *any*? At least 3 users working with WIN 2k (Me,
[EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED]) 2 of them using FAT32. (See bug
report #3793)

> BTW, gc_maxlifetime is in sec. and *explained* explicitly in php.ini
IIRC.
I read tfm! Read line 2 of my report above:
"session.gc_maxlifetime *documented* as a lifetime measured in seconds
... "
OK,OK if you say it's secs I'll believe you. I can't verify it because
of the current bug. They're indications that the doc could have been
wrong (Read my report above)

Any windows users can confirm this?

BTW, gc_maxlifetime is in sec. and *explained* explicitly in php.ini
IIRC.

Befor going into the bug-report an importent question:
session.gc_maxlifetime documented as a lifetime messured in *seconds*
with default = 1440
               1440s = 24min. hmm.... 24min ??
Expectiong the gc_maxlifetime to be rather long 24 min. seams a short
time AND 24 relates more to 24h! So is it realy *seconds* ?!
                         ---
The Bug:
As reported in Bug ID #3793 (from [EMAIL PROTECTED]) following still
happens (taken from [EMAIL PROTECTED], 2000-12-07 and veryfied by
[EMAIL PROTECTED], 2001-11-25):
1) "session.gc_maxlifetime" does not work - I set this to 60 sec, but I
can read values from the session even when time expired. (I start the
session and then I wait
more than 60 sec before calling other script)

2) When I set "session.gc_probability = 100"  in php.ini, ALL other
session files are deleted (only one session can be used at the time - if
2 clients are connected to
server, the second client deletes session of the first client, etc.).
.

My Comment:
To (1): This may be intended when using cookies! Because if
session.cookie_lifetime is =0 (until browser is restarted) finding a
valid SID in the cookie may prevent the gc from destroying the session
data. (The doc leves this open).

To (2): For testing I've set "session.gc_probability = 50" but the
effect is the same. As soon as the gc runs, all other session-files are
deleted. gc_maxlifetime has no influance.

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote that it may have to do with 'atime' and I would
think so too. I would consider to use 'mtime' (maybe as fallback). Even
the PHP-manual makes restriktions to 'atime': "Some Unix filesystems can
be mounted with atime updates disabled to increase the performance."

[Session]
session.gc_probability = 100
session.gc_maxlifetime = 60
session.save_handler = files