Reported By: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Old Bug Type: Apache related
Bug Type: Documentation problem
Operating System: Windows
PHP Version: 4.1.1
Old Assigned To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Assigned To: imajes
New Comment:

As said by others, this is NOT a bug, but a documentation problem.
(btw: assigned to only needs your username)

Ok,

I have checked in a newer, cleaner version of the relevant
documentation.

As far as the guidelines go, configuring php and apache like that is a
massive security risk, (since we've been recommending all production
level sites to create a script alias for /php/ and mapping that to their
php directory), so I appeal to the apache people (Jimw, etc) to look
into ways of fixing it so you don't have to use a scriptalias and
action. (or use action with an absolute path).

This is a pretty urgent problem, so i'm going to mark this bug as
critical and move it to Apache Related.

Georg, our security section has a link to that CERT
advisory for quite a long time now. I have added a
warning and a link to the particular security page
to that setup instruction page for Apache windows.

Please give better instructions for CGI setups
under windows if you can. A setup, where PHP
sritps are portable, so no #!c:\php\php.exe type
of method is doable...

Maybe James can find another way. The Apache doc
only documents the methods we have in the install
and security chapters...

---
Goba

Actually, our documentation tells win32 users to install that way. I'm
investigating a better method right now, and will patch the
documentation in a short while.

I knew i forgot to do something after i updated my win32 last week!

Unbelievable, why do you set your cgi-binary in the document root
tree!?

See http://www.cert.org/advisories/CA-1996-11.html

Well you should have already heard about this but I'll report it anyway
becoz we all need a fix very fast! Well when you do this:
http://www.example.com/php/php.exe?c:\winnt\repair\sam   (this is an
example, you can view any file) it will return the files contents! This
happens with ANY windows versions...i don't think it affects linux. Also
this will return the install path of PHP:
http://www.example.com/php/php4ts.dll
could you please get a path/new vesion out ASAP! This is extremly
serious!