ID: 14981
User updated by: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Old Summary: mail() function won't send mail to a domain containing '-'
hyphens
Reported By: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Old Status: Feedback
Bug Type: Mail related
Operating System: Apache
PHP Version: 4.1.0

The following example script:

 $r = "[EMAIL PROTECTED]";
 $s = "Message submitted at website";
 $m = "From: " . $name . ", email: " . $email . "\n\n" . $message;
 $h = "From: " . $email . "\r\n";
 mail ($r, $s, $m, $h);
 echo "<script language=\"javascript\">window.alert (\"Thankyou, your
message have been sent!\")</script>";

ought to send mail to the specified address, but does not. Or, at least,
mail does not arrive. It works with all email addresses we have tried
except those on this domain (ie. 'the-total-solution.com', which seems
to suggest a problem with PHP, possibly relating to the fact that the
domain contains hyphens? Emails from other sources are correctly
reaching this address and others in the domain. Escaping by using the
address "info@the\-total\-solution.com" doesn't solve the problem
either. Having raised this problem with other developers, who also
tested it, we can only conclude that the problem is in PHP.

I am not running PHP myself, my webserver is, so I can't give any
information about PHP modules / backtrace.

Andrew Staffell