From:             [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Operating system: Linux 2.4.2-2 RedHat 7.1
PHP version:      4.1.1
PHP Bug Type:     Output Control
Bug description:  SSI output from PHP CGI produces garbage on Netscape browsers

I'm calling a PHP CGI script through Apache's mod_include SSI directives.
When using Internet Explorer, the output of the PHP script is just fine.
However, when using Netscape (4.x and 6.x), I just see garbage as output
(similar to what you would see if you were viewing a website in a language
that your browser didn't support).

I was thinking this was an Apache related problem, but then I decided to
try to include a bash shell script cgi using SSI.  This worked just fine
for both browsers which leads me to believe that it's a PHP specific
problem.  Here's the scripts that I'm using:

-- ssi.shtml --

<!--#include virtual="bash-ssi.cgi" -->
<!--#include virtual="php-ssi.cgi" -->

-- bash-ssi.cgi --

#!/bin/bash
echo "X-Powered-By: PHP/4.1.1"
echo "Content-type: text/html"
echo
echo "This is a test string from a Bash Shell CGI script"

-- php-ssi.cgi --

#!/usr/local/bin/php
<?php
  echo "This is a test string from a PHP CGI script.\n";
?>

Here is the output from the browsers:

-- Internet Explorer --

This is a test string from a Bash Shell CGI script
This is a test string from a PHP CGI script.

-- Netscape --

This is a test string from a Bash Shell CGI script
‹ù-

I'm sorry I can't test this on any other systems.  This is the only one I
have access to right now.  Thanks for the help.

Adam Taft
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

--
Edit bug report at: http://bugs.php.net/?id=15152&edit=1