ID:               15338
 Updated by:       [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 Bug Type:         MSSQL related
 Operating System: windows NT IIS
 PHP Version:      4.1.1
 New Comment:

Sorry for what apparently was simply an SQL syntax issue.  The [My-DB]
works just fine.

It is feedback until the submitter reports something back.

In PHP bug db, cloased is used for fixed bugs/problems.
Bogus should be the correct status :)

If your database name contains '-' or ' ' you can select the database
like this:

mssql_select_db("[my database]");

or

mssql_select_db("[my-database]");

That works fine.

I have a database on my MSSQL server with a '-' in the database name.
The database works fine with all of my other applications including
ASP.  However, I cannot select the database with PHP.  Interestingly, a
'-' in the server name doesn't seem to be a problem.

$server="SQL-Server";
$dbName="My-DB";
$user="phpusr";
$passwd="phppass";

$hcon = mssql_connect($server, $user, $passwd);
if ($hcon == FALSE)
        die("Could not connect to SQL server '$server'");
$hdb = mssql_select_db($dbName, $hcon);

The resulting message is:

Warning: MS SQL message: Line 1: Incorrect syntax near '-'. (severity
15) in C:\InetPub\PHP\dbtest.php on line 10

Warning: MS SQL: Unable to select database: My-DB in
C:\InetPub\PHP\dbtest.php on line 10
Could not select database 'My-DB'