ID:               15198
 Updated by:       [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 Bug Type:         OCI8 related
 Operating System: Redhat Linux 6.1
 PHP Version:      4.1.1
 Assigned To:      thies
 New Comment:

Well, I have investigated the situation a bit more:

I have a script which takes a long time (a maintenance script that runs
at night, using php cgi binary), so I have set set_time_limit(7200)
(which is two hours!)

In the script, there's a complex query that takes 3 minutes to run.
During this query, I get this OCI8 Recursive Call error and the script
fails, even though the time limit has not been reached yet. Is there
some internal timeout in the OCI calls? I now have to downgrade to
4.0.6 to prevent the problem.

this happens when an oci-call gets interrupted by a signal. this should
only happen in 2 stituations:

- you script hits max_execution_time (bad)

- you did an apachectrl restart instead of apachectrl graceful

the message "recursive call" is consitered a fatal-error and the apache
child that generated that message will be terminated by the php
oci-driveri. this is cause i've seen oracle MTS servers crashing when a
client tried to call the oci* stuff in a reentrant way. i currently
know no better way to save my "unbreakable" oracle from crashing;-)

this happens when an oci-call gets interrupted by a signal. this should
only happen in 2 stituations:

- you script hits max_execution_time (bad)

- you did an apachectrl restart instead of apachectrl graceful

the message "recursive call" is consitered a fatal-error and the apache
child that generated that message will be terminated by the php
oci-driveri. this is cause i've seen oracle MTS servers crashing when a
client tried to call the oci* stuff in a reentrant way. i currently
know no better way to save my "unbreakable" oracle from crashing;-)

I have a script that does an OCILogin, then OCIParses a query, then
does a few OCIBindByName calls, an OCIExecute, an OCIFreeStatement and
finally OCILogoff.

The query is a PL/SQL block with a BEGIN, a few update and insert
queries and an END.

Most of the time the script runs fine. But every now and then (haven't
discovered any regularity yet) I'm getting 'OCI8 Recursive call!' in my
error logs.

I've taken a look at ext/oci8/oci8.c to see what would trigger this
error, and from what I see there, I can think of no errors in my script
that could cause this. So my guess os that it is some internal error.